Sunday, 30 August 2015

Discouraging fly tipping ..... or encouraging it ?

I was checking whether the Bebside waste recycling site was open tomorrow, when I noted this little gem.

From 14th September Northumberland County Council will be charging for the disposal of plasterboard, rubble and soil.

Charges range from £2 for a "bin bag" or single sheet, to £80 for a van load ( = transit van sized )

I can understand the charges being levied for commercial users, but I'm not sure about this for residential users. Especially when commercial users are not supposed to use the local amenity sites

I hadn't seen the announcement before today, and I bet that many people will be caught unawares when they are refused permission to drop rubbish off without payment.

Payment can be made by credit or debit cards, and if you don't have one, a prepayment card can be bought from local Payzone points. Cash cannot be taken at the sites.

But wait, there's more. There are no Payzone points in Blyth. The Bebside site payments can be bought in Bedlington, Choppington, Scotland Gate, Ashington and Seghill.

So, someone turns up at a site without having pre-paid, and not having a card with them they are turned away.

Fly tipping is already a big problem, I bet this makes it worse.

Oh, by the way, the site is open tomorrow.

No comments: