Saturday, 17 May 2014

Overhard at the RNLI coffee morning

I was helping out at this morning's RNLI coffee morning, a thing I do when I can.

I was standing , up to my elbows in the washing up, listening to a conversation between one of the helpers and her friend.

"These councillors, they're only in it for what they can get" says the friend "You'd never see one unless it was election time, or if they were after something"

"They can't all be that bad"  said the helper ( knowing that I'm a councillor)

"Oh yes, " said the friend "They're all the same"

The helper then introduced me to her friend, who was suitably embarrassed , and hurriedly gave a donation to the RNLI.

I thought the embarrassment over, but she then went on to say "But you're too nice to be a councillor. I used to know (name omitted) , he was a councillor and I wouldn't trust him to tell me the time"

I know the ex-councillor mentioned, and although I agree with her, she now knows that we are not all the same as him.




No comments: