Friday, 31 August 2012

Blyth Market

For many years Blyth has held it's market on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

The market has seen a decline over the years, despite the attempts to help it by both the former Blyth Valley Borough Council and Northumberland County Council.

Ask anyone in Blyth and after slating (excuse the pun) the East German Parade Ground that it had become, they'd mention how more market traders need to be attracted to Blyth. It's all well and good saying this, but attempts have been made... free rents for an introductory period etc.

On Monday, having been away for the weekend I was in Blyth to get one or two bits and bobs from those shops that I knew would be open on a Bank Holiday.

I was surprised to see that there was a market on, and it seemed to be doing a decent trade. "Good idea" I thought, "Put an additional market on for the Bank Holiday" and thought nothing more of it.

But on Tuesday ... no market at all. I wondered if the weather was to blame...but it wasn't that bad.

At a meeting on Tuesday evening I found that Northumberland County Council have been experimenting with a Monday market rather than a Tuesday one. Discussing it with the rep of the National Market Traders' Association I found that it's an experiment , and it appear to be going well.

In the long term I would love to see Blyth Town Council take over the running of the market, but in the meantime it's a good sign that people are at least trying new ways to improve it.

No comments: