Saturday, 7 April 2012

Real Ale today

It's been a while since I posted about real ale, and given the heading at the top of this blog, I thought I'd share a comment about the ale I had today.

Having been for a lovely Italian meal in Newcastlll, my wife, step-mum and I went to The Goose, a pub that has got a mixed clientele, and one that I might not normally use on a busy Saturday afternoon.

The place was full, but we got a seat reasonably easily, and while the women shared a bottle of rose wine ( apparrently a good one, and less than £6 per bottle ), I chose a beer that I hadn't had before.

It was Marstons EPA, served from a hand pump. It was a hoppy light coloured ale, with a strength of less than 4%, and with a flavour almost lemony in it's "zestiness" (I cannot find a better word )

Very nice, especially at £1.85 per pint, ....... yes, less than £2 for a decent ale! The thing that I found strange, was the number of people ordering keg-fizz at £3 + .... I'm all in favour of choice being offered, but to be honest, no contest !!.

2 comments:

AndyT said...

Good to see you still like a decent pint Alisdair. I still have a vivid memory of calling into a pub near Dover after a long bus trip form the NE heading to France. Take care.
Andy

Alisdair Gibbs-Barton said...

Hi Andy, that brought memories flooding back! Yes, I still like a good pint, a lot fewer than in the 1970s, but I still savour a good pint ... there are a few pubs here in Northumberland, and over the border in Newcastle, that serve a range of Real Ales.

I really should rejoin CAMRA, as I support their aims, but I'm too mean to pay !