Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Apostrophe fascist !!

I am pretty liberal in most things in life, but I think that I'm developing a tendency to turn into an apostrophe fascist.

You know the sort of thing, incorrectly placed, missing or superfluous apostrophes. I can forgive the mistakes when written or typed in the "heat of the moment" , but on signs with an apostrophe error I get fairly angry.

It is correct to see Sainsbury's (the supermarket ) or Kellogg's (the cereal company) but recent sightings have been :-

Bag's of crisps

The 1960's (should it not be the 1960s ?)

Pair's of socks

Tomato's  ..... and then went on 3 pound's for £1

Bit's and Bob's

Children under 11 year's travel free (London Underground!)


There are many more, and I will happily admit that most of them are relatively harmless errors in the grand scheme of things, but they have become second only to txt-speak in my list of hates.

2 comments:

David said...

May I recommend The Apostrophe Protection Society:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2207454063
You are not alone. Also, perhaps you listen to Ed Reardon's Week on Radio 4. He would agree with you and so do I. I caught his fringe show in Edinburgh where he described falling out of love when a teenager because of the way the object of his affection misused the apostrophe.

Alisdair Gibbs-Barton said...

I have joined this and similar groups, they do highlight some real howlers.

As an aside, my local free paper arrived this afternoon, and I have already spotted seven apostrophe errors.